Through textile studies and research, we are creating a dialogue between the student and Oaxaca’s indigenous artisan community. You will be guided by true masters of their art forms who will work with you, share their knowledge, and advise you on your artistic path. You can investigate their materials, methods and processes in a studio setting, join them in conversation, and further your own creative exploration.
At the end of your studies you will be joined by a circle of masters from many traditions to discuss and reflect on your work and enhance what you have learned in and out of the studio. Over a communal dinner, where you will experience traditional family recipes, you’ll join in a conversation with our respected masters to delve deeper and reflect on all you’ve learned.
Hands-on workshops will be complemented by artisan studio studies, time with the community elders, and free time to work independently on personal projects. This study opens the doors—for the first time—to learn about the arts from a cultural context and see Oaxaca through us—the natives of this land.
To learn more about our vision for these programs and our Circle of Masters, please visit the About Our Residencies page.
Limited to 6 participants
- 9 nights of lodging at a centrally located B&B
- 6 days of Weaving & Natural Dyes Workshops
- 2 days study trips to master artisan textile studio
- Embroidery session in-studio with visiting master teacher
- Free day to explore personal project or research outside the studio
- Communal dinner with Circle of Masters to reflect and share with the group
- Airport transfers or return to city
- Help planning additional day activities or ways to extend your stay in Oaxaca
Workshops are full for 2019 and 2020.
$2,680 USD / person
- 50% deposit due upon sign up.
- Final deposit will be due 60 days before the program.
- Deposits are non-refundable.
Independent Study Opportunities
For artists who are interested in a longer 2 or 3-week residency. Full for 2019 and 2020.